Sunday, January 22, 2012

When there's no place else to go, there's Mexico . . .

My two week vacation to Mexico ended with a bang, or rather, a CRACK!  A few hours after arriving home from a wonderful trip to Patzcuaro, Mexico, I fell off the end of my bed and broke my collarbone.  Over tired after traveling all day, I miscalculated the distance to the end of the bed and landed with all my weight on my shoulder onto hard wood floors.  OK, I also had a glass of wine, but surely one glass of wine couldn't have done all that!

It's been five days since the accident -- I'm still in quite a bit of pain and somewhat fuzzy from the pain medication, but I think I can manage a blog posting for my four or five loyal followers.  I bought an inexpensive camera for the trip -- a Kodak point and shoot with zoom.  Although it seems to take pretty good pictures, for some reason, a few of my photos have disappeared.  I thought I had quite a collection of "Banos" pictures (public bathrooms), but only a few appear in my "Pictures" folder.

Why take pictures of public bathrooms?  Because for someone who has to pee as often as I do, the banos were very important -- and quite primitive!  The picture below is of one of my favorite wash up facilities outside of the bathrooms.  Most of the banos were three pesos and included toilet paper dispenced by the bathroom attendant.  The bathrooms were neat and clean and located out in the open in courtyards with a minimum of shelter from the elements.



Brilliant sunshine is provided for drying your hands!
The Women's Bath Room

And here's a surprise photo of my traveling companion coming out of the banos in the tiny village of Charo, outside of Morelia.

"Mujeres" (women), three pesos.

And, finally, two cats having a siesta at the banos.



Now that I've got all the bathroom stuff out of the way, perhaps tomorrow I can get on with posting more culturally edifying photos.

1 comment:

  1. Whew -- what a relief --snort--

    And I'm really sorry you lost other photos -- somehow the varied possibilities and ingenuities that different cultures have found for such a basic human need is infinitely interesting. Or at least, it's so to some (perhaps warped) minds....

    Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete