Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Writing on the Wall . . .

There are several notes to myself taped to my studio walls.  Most recently, "Become a Student of the Art You Love", followed by a quote by Hannelore Baron:   ". . . there was a long time when I wasn't completely satisfied with what I was doing . . . not that I didn't think each collage was good, but they didn't have a message . . . finally, when I felt I had the message, then I thought, okay, now." 

Inspiration as I make my way through the world of collage.  And in the spirit of such inspiration, I have created another message for my walls, this one made from an excercise in Marie Otero's class, Digital Magic.  This simple text collage actually involved the use of numerous texture layers and clipping masks, various fonts and multiple layers in Photoshop Elements.  I can't believe I'm actually doing this!  I don't know if I'll really make a collage a day, but I'm determined to take some action everyday to discovering my own unique collage "voice".

For more about Hannelore Baron, click here.  And I hope that others who read this post will share their own methods of inspiration and motivation.   Now, back to work . . .

1 comment:

  1. I really like the way you've devised for "self-discipline." I guess I like it because it's something I do for myself when I feel I need it.

    I find the idea of "message" (or "meaning") important to unify the surface, particularly in collage, which can go bouncing off in too many directions for the viewer to follow. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete