Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blue Heron . . . .


Capturing an image like this is what makes me feel so priviledged to be living on this property.  A couple of times from the house, I have seen the large shadows of the herons in flight moving across the ground in front of the house.  There are not very many around, but with the ponds on the property, there are supposed to be at least two.

While I was walking in the woods the other day, I saw one take off from the direction of one of the ponds.  I got my camera ready and crept up to the pond.  He was all the way on the other side, and even with an image stabilization zoom lens, the picture I got is a bit blurry.  But isn't he beautiful?!  He almost immediately took off in rapturous flight, but I was too suprised and not quick enough to capture that image.  Next time I will be more prepared for getting a sequence of shots, but I doubt if I'd be able to set up a tripod before I was detected.

My house in town is being shown this weekend so I will take advantage of the slightly cooler weather we are having and clean up the gardens today.  I would love to get the house sold and off my mind.  With the housing market the way it is, it could sell in a week or sit there for a year.  I am quite ready to be free of it and wondering why the Universe is not moving along with me.  Perhaps a lesson for me in learning to wait patiently for events to happen in their own time. 

Today I will look for the abundance hidden in the small moments of my life and practice being grateful for all the wonderful things I do have.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent philosophy there. All lives are full of abundance, but we are often busy looking hard at a few things we THINK are the key and downgrade or ignore the rest which could fill us up with well-being.

    I too live on property conducive to herons, although I haven't seen much of them lately - perhaps the water is too high right now. They are difficult to get close to and I have yet to get a good shot. Yours isn't bad - keep open and keep trying!

    ReplyDelete