Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Making Paper

Today I sent off my ginkgo leaf paper samples for the 2010 Papermaking Swatch Swap.  I also sent two cover papers and will receive a bound book with samples from a total of seventy papermakers.  Just about the entire group I think.  So here's my paper samples . . .


I harvested the leaves last fall and partially cooked, rinsed well, and put them in the freezer right next to the frozen meatloaf!

 
Using my crockpot for cooking fibers has revolutionized papermaking for me.  No more pot boiling over on the stove and stinking up the whole house.
Hand beating fibers.

And finally, I got to use my "new" hydraulic press that makes a world of difference in the quality of the papers I can make.  Smoother and stronger and more able to put through my printer.


And here's a list of the junk that was used to make my press by my ever handy and resourceful hubby:  1.  Hydraulic press and handle.  2.  Long bolts from electrical poles.  3.  Clothing rack.  4.  Scrap angle iron.  5.  U-bolts from cable assembly in chicken house.  6.  Eyebolts from TV antenna brackets.  7.  Pre-formed metal for Peterbilt truck replacement parts.  Modeled on a picture of a press that retailed for $1,200!

Now that the weather has cooled some, I will be making lots of paper -- and some experimenting with new processes, too.

3 comments:

  1. I love that list of materials that went into your press. LIke the looks of the press, for the matter:-)

    And the paper does look wonderful -- and a lot of work. But it seems to be the kind of work that is so absorbing that it's more like life than work, if you know what I mean.

    And you see, my computer is allowing me to post -- miracles will never cease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmph, and all these are framed too -- I didn't notice until Barbara pointed it out. Upping the ante on us lazy slobs! Well, I refuse to frame my blog photos, even if it does make me look like a piker. I'll just claim GDI status

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your blog is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete