Monday, September 13, 2010

Work in Progress

Last meeting of the Book Babes, theTennessee Bookmakers' Guild, we made a prototype for a concertina bound book.  When I got home, I decided that it would be fun to finish up the prototype, warts and all.  So I got out some old "Art in America" magazines and tore through the pages to make collages for my "book".  Once that was done, I felt that I wanted some content, so I went looking through my journals for quotes that had particular appeal for me at this time.

As I began to collect quotes, I started to tune in to some underlying anxieties and very quickly the small book I was playing around with became something that I rather needed as a gift to myself to help me cope with an emotionally trying time.  Another member of the Book Babes, our only regularly attending male member, had recently shared with the group that he and his son, who was battling cancer, were working on a book together of memories of how they each dealt with difficult periods of life.  So, if you are reading this, John, thank you for planting that book "seed" in my mind.

I still need a title and a few more quotes, but I am already feeling pleased with my little book, imperfect as it is.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Diane, the book is beautiful. I love the perfected look of the covers. I have often thought of making a concertina book of my panoramas, but without a group like yours to spur me on, and talent like yours to make the end product so handsome, I have always given up. Maybe I'll have to find some Book Babes of my own after we return from AZ.

    ReplyDelete